Advice for Students

General Careers Advice

You should look at the SCoR website for information about general careers.


The links below will help you with working out a career path:

Depending on your qualifications, it may be best to start with this next link below which describes how you would need to have at least an NVQ level 2/3 Health Certificate

If you already have higher qualifications than these, you should look at the Assistant Practitioner or Practitioner sections in this document for further information.

CASE Accredited Courses

If you already have a relevant first degree, you can look for a CASE Accredited post-graduate course in the CASE Directory.


If you are interested in becoming an ultrasound practitioner but have graduated in a discipline that is not relevant then you could consider one of the accredited 'Direct Entry' courses, details of which can also be found in the CASE Directory.


You will need to discuss the entry requirements with each university if you would like to apply for one of these courses.  All contact details can be found in the directory.


Ultrasound Training, Employment, Registration and Professional Indemnity Insurance

The Society of Radiographers have produced a document which answers many queries related to ultrasound training, employment, registration and professional indemnity insurance.

Overseas Applicants

If you are an overseas student looking to apply for a place on a CASE accredited course in the UK, the following advice may be useful to you.



UK ENIC is a government body that will let you know the UK equivalent of your overseas qualifications. A UK employer or university may ask you for a UK ENIC statement or certificate; there is a fee involved but UK employers and universities will usually accept the statement as proof of your level of qualification.


You should look at the UK ENIC website which describes how you can get a Certificate of Equivalence for your overseas qualification.


Eligibility to work in the UK


You can apply for posts in the UK but success would depend on your eligibility to work.  Please check the UK Border Agency website, GOV.UK, for details of eligibility.

It would be up to employers to decide if you were suitable for a post here with overseas qualifications and experience.  There are no further exams you would need to take.


If you are already in the UK, you could consider joining the Register of Clinical Technologists (RCT).  Applications to the RCT are reviewed to ensure that an applicant has undertaken an appropriate level of study or is practising at the level expected in the UK of someone having completed a CASE accredited programme.

Other Links Which May be Useful

Contact us

Get social with us

Print | Sitemap
Header photographs supplied courtesy of GE Healthcare. Created with IONOS WebsiteBuilder